It was or rather would have been a sensation, but from the start, the reports were hard to believe. For example, the head of a market analysis firm, SuperData Research, has spread the “information” that he is very sure that Microsoft will soon announce a giant deal. But even then you could and had to classify that as a rumor.
Also Read: Microsoft Edge Coming To iPad Soon
Nevertheless, it inspired the fantasies of many and there was a lot of speculation as to whether something might be right. An acquisition of EA would have cost – as measured by the stock market value – about $ 35 billion, at Valve a potential amount is not known because the developer and operator of the distribution platform Steam is a privately held company.
The most expensive, surprising and well-known acquisitions by Microsoft:
- $ 26 billion for the careers network Linkedin
- $ 5 billion for Nokia’s mobile phone business
- 100 million dollars for the Sunrise calendar app
- Unknown purchase price for the interactive streaming service Beam
- $ 120 million for the Berlin to-do-list makers Wunderlist
- 2.5 billion dollars for Minecraft developer Mojang
- $ 8.5 billion for VoIP provider Skype
It is not known what Valve is (currently) worth. The boss of the Bellevue-based Seattle-based company, Gabe Newell, emailed a fan to answer that question.Because he asked Newell a bit dramatically: “Is Valve bought by Microsoft? Please answer, the community is shaken.”
Newell answered him and a screenshot of his (probably real) answer also found its way to the internet through Forum ResetEra (via Game Debate ). “Not that I know,” the Valve co-founder said shortly in his usual dry way.Although this is not a guarantee that Microsoft does not plan to buy Valve, but the rumor can be shelved for now.